Sunday, November 27, 2011

Breakfast on the GO!

I had a question a while back about some good ideas for Breakfast on the Go. The hectic holiday season is upon us and any time savers are worth while!
I thought I would compile a list of all my fav's for a fast breakfast.

1. Make a BIG batch of Oatmeal at the beginning of the week. My two Fav's are Apple Pie Oatmeal and Pumpkin Pie Peanut Butter Oatmeal! YUM! I keep leftovers in my fridge and quickly microwave for a warm breakfast. The oatmeal gets soft and fluffy and I almost like it on the second day the most!

If you don't have time to cook anything, try my GO-TO breakfast. Muesli! You have to try it before you judge. My kids devour it and so does my husband! For a quicker version, take rolled oats, mix with trail mix and cut up apple or banana and milk. Voila - you done! 
We don't even buy cereal anymore!

2. Granola Bars! You all know I am OBSESSED with these. I have made probably 20 different kinds of them. My top two are Ellie Krieger's Amazing Energy Bars and Peanut Butter Granola Bars Oh - and i guess Cranberry Energy Bars are good too. :)

3. For a REALLY healthy Bar/snack - try our favorite 'Raisin nut Toast.' This is nothing like the cinnamon raison bread that you always guiltily buy at the bakery (I wish it was, but you know :)) Its a bread/cracker sorta thing full of tons of FIBER and protein. We keep it in the fridge and spread it with peanut butter for a fast breakfast or snack.


Dry:
1 C Almonds Chopped in Food Processor
1 C Sunflower seeds ground in food processor
1/2 C Oats
1/2 C Oat Flour - Oats ground in blender
1/2 C Ground Flax Seed

Wet:
1 Zucchini Chopped
2 Carrots Peeled and chopped
1 Apple Chopped
Add Inn:
1/2-1 C raisins
4 Dates plus 1/2 C water
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 Tbl of Sucanat or B. Sugar

1. Place dates in 1 cup measure, fill with water let set. In bowl mix dry ingredients. In Blender (or food processor) blend carrots, zuchinni, and Apple.  Stir into bowl with dry ingredients. Add raisins and cinnamon and sucanat. Blend dates with their water until pureed all the way. Add in to mixture. Spread on baking sheet in a thin layer (make sure to spray baking sheet or use a silpat!) Bake at 300 for about 1/2 hour or so. I just keep checking until it becomes the texture I like. It can be as soft or hard as you like. Cut into squares and store in fridge! Serve spread with peanut/almond butter. YUM!
4. Smoothies!!! So simple, fast and yummy! If you can't decide between a smoothie and oatmeal - try an Oatmeal Smoothie! I was too excited when I found this! (I love it, b/c you get extra protein from the oatmeal)
You can try Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie Or a Simple Green Smoothie - 2 C spinach, 1 C milk (or no sugar juice), 1 Banana, 1/2 C Frozen Blueberries. Blend and Enjoy!


5. Another great idea is Boiled Eggs! Packed with Protein - these will be a perfect grab and go. To make them even better grab a single serving of hummus (we buy these at costco and love it!) bring a knife and spoon and dollop a little hummus on the egg. SO GOOD!

6. More Eggs. Quick and Easy Egg in a Hole.  You can also make a big portion of mini quiches and keep in fridge for the week. (I've heard you can easily freeze them, but I haven't tried this yet)


7. MUFFINS! Yum! I have so many new kinds I've been wanting to try. My two fav's so far are Carrot Zucchini Muffins and Peanut Butter and Jelly Muffins.


8. You can also make (and freeze) or buy some whole grain waffles (I love Van's or Kashi) and pop them into the toaster. That's way too easy! :)

9. I'm also in love with granola! If I chop nuts really small, my kids will just eat it plain out of a baggy. That's a great breakfast on the go! Try my most popular granola. Or make your own granola balls!! I am going to be doing this in the next few days - but go ahead and try it. Peanut Butter Pumpkin Granola Balls!

No comments:

Post a Comment